Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Southwest

In preparation for riding from Perth, Western Australia where I live, back to the UK where I plan to live, I went on a relatively short road trip in the southwest corner of Western Australia to practice and try out my equipment, especially the recently purchased BMW R1200GSA. I'm used to the 1200GS as I have owned one for a number of years, but the Adventure model is very new to me.


Long rides and camping is something I haven't done for more years than I care to remember, but it's something I miss. Over many months I've spent a lot of my hard earned on all kinds of things that I feel necessary for this trip, things like tent, sleeping bag, mattress, security devices etc. I have made modifications to the bike and added expensive and possibly unnecessary Touratech equipment. I've also had to figure out how to carry all the things needed to assist my round the world trip, but armed with the advice "figure out what you need to take and halve it" I've managed to get everything comfortably into aluminium panniers, tank bag and one large Ortlieb bag.

My ride through the southwest started by heading for the Margaret River region, the first destination being Augusta just south of Margaret River. After one night in Augusta, the following morning I headed further south to Denmark on the south coast. The ride from Augusta to Denmark is always a memorable one as it takes in the South Western Highway which is a fantastic twisty road with crest top bends through gorgeous karri forests. After a night in Denmark I headed east to Esperance, which unfortunately is a destination popular with many West Australians and at this time of the year, the place was packed. The area around Esperance is one of immense beauty, especially Cape le Grand, which is where I spent the remainder of the day. The next morning I headed home to Perth, a ride of 706kms which the bike gobbled up with absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. The bike performed superbly, on this trip I had the original knobbly tyres which offered plenty of grip but were noisy and sensitive to hard cornering, for future mainly road trips I would use the same faultless tyres I've been using on my old GS, Metzeler Tourance XPs.

I had a great little practice trip away, riding through lovely countryside which ranged from lush green forest to bone dry wheatbelt, It's a great little practice ground for the big one, and I'm sure I'll be back again soon.

Planned departure August 1, 2012.

No comments: